ARCHITECTURE: Dream Houses...Anyone?

- - The original note follows - -

From: bruipe@xxxxxxx (Peter J. Bruinsma)
Subject: Subtractive Architecture (was: if you were building your own house)
Date: 19 Dec 1993 12:24:10 -0800

In article <2ethhi$150@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Thompson <benth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>In article <1993Dec15.183925.10056@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>Gary Heston <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>If you were going to build your own house, what would
>>>you do?
>
>>Then, I'd want a nice limestone hill to dig into, that had a good
>>strategic command of the surrounding area.
>>
>>And some mining equipment to dig it into the hill.

Subtractive architecture rules! (That includes underground designs).
My ideal cliff dwelling has ballroom size rooms and windows as high as the
walls. The windowsills should be at least 7' deep, shaped like a regular
trapezoid with the base on the inside to miximize incoming light. The
windows are shut from the inside by glass 'doors'. No need for a deck.
lots of activity is possible on the windowsills.

There should be extensive use of water, preferably from a natural source
with a flow-rate made constant. A few small canals in the floor, through
the walls, etc. will water the indoor herb gardens. Also, there will be
some massive marine aquaria, all interconnected, with one very big
cylindrical one in the main entrance hall (which should also be cylindrical).

There will be a live video of my goat grazing on top of the cliff.
(No happiness without feta).

The shower will have water coming out of the *ceiling* with a flowrate
equalling that of a small size waterfall (for rinsing, i.e.).

The library will be about twice as big as other rooms. In the middle will
be a *huge* very redundantly solid wooden table, perhaps 32' by 11' or so.
The floor will be covered with hardwood and many many oriental-style rugs.
Only two walls will have books. The other wall will have an entrance with
on both sides large aquaria as walls, and the other side a window the width
and height of the library. A table and chair will have been added by
subtraction right on the windowsill.

Lighting is provided by direct light through the windows, optically
channeled light from outside sources, and at night with uhm, what do
you call those things that hang off walls in old castles? Those.
They should have fluidic sensors (air being the liquid) that ignite
them upon my approach. OK, ok. Maybe I'll wear one of those miner's
helmets with a light on it :).

Anyway, this is my dream house. The house I will end up building is
probably more french/spanish colonialist style gutted on the inside,
with a copper roof and *lots* of glass.

Peter.

Redundancy is beauty.