ARCHITECTURE: Rural India and Domes.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 27-DEC-1993 21:03:58.53
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC"
CC:
Subj: post earthquake rebuilding in India

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 16:57:45 GMT
From: dboldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: post earthquake rebuilding in India
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC <[email protected]>

There was an article in the Washington Post, Dec 11 (A19), which
had a picture of a dome built in a village as an example of a building
which could endure future earthquakes. Alas the tone of the article
was that the rural Indian people snickered and gawked at this strange
thing and that it was an example of aid which did not mesh with the
needs of the people it was supposed to help. "Where are we going to
keep the cows?" was one of the quotes in reference to the dome house.

Does anyone know anything about such efforts in India? I suspect
there is a story still untold.

-- david boldt dboldt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx