GENERAL: IDFORUM, January 1994.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Industrial Design Forum" 1-JAN-1994
15:08:30.44
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: IDFORUM - January, 1994

Date: Sat, 1 Jan 1994 15:07:00 EDT
From: GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDFORUM - January, 1994
Sender: Industrial Design Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

IIII DDDDDDDD
III DDDDDDDDD FFFFF OOO RRRR U U M M
III DDD DDDD F O O R R U U MM MM
III DDD DDD FFFF O O R R U U M M M
III DDD DDD F O O RRRR U U M M
III DDD DDD F O O R RR U U M M
III DDD DDD F OOO R RR UUU M M
III DDD DDDD
III DDDDDDDDD THE INDUSTRIAL DESIGN NETWORK
IIII DDDDDDDD

JANUARY, 1994

* CONTENTS *

* Graduate Program, Industrial Design *

* Dancing with the Virtual Dervish *

* Leading Edge Training Technologies Conference *
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

* Sustainable Lifestyle - Report on the O2 Event, *
Rotterdam, November, 1993

* Technology and Postmodern Culture *
Lecture Series, Ohio State University

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Graduate Program in Industrial Design,
the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
is seeking high quality applicants for Fall 94.

We offer a unique combination of international
faculty. We have been rated as the #1 industrial
design graduate program in the country by the
Gourman Report this year. Funding is available
with tuition & fee waiver.

For information contact:
Marsha Biddle
Graduate Admissions Office
School of Art & Design
143 Art & Design Building
408 East Peabody Drive
Champaign IL 61820

Phone: 217.333.0642
Fax: 217.244.7688

government through the Banff Centre for the Arts in Banff,
Canada, the VR project will be discussed at the Fourth International
Conference on Cyberspace (May 20-22) and mounted and
performed at the Art and Virtual Environments Conference (May 23-24).
Both conferences will be held at the Banff Centre for the Arts.
Other artists exhibiting and performing their VR work will be
Brenda Laurel, Barabara Strickland; Michael Naimark; Perry Hoberman;
Michael MacKenzie, Toni Dove;Ron Kuivila; and Stewart Dixon,
Michael Scroggins. For more info, contact: output@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

** LEADING EDGE TRAINING TECHNOLOGIES (LETT '94) **

CONFERENCE AND TRADE SHOW

February 15 & 16, 1994

Victoria, BC, Canada

The University of Victoria will be hosting its second annual
Leading Edge Training Technologies Conference and Trade Show
on February 15 and 16 at the Victoria Conference Centre,
Victoria, BC, Canada. The theme for this year is: using leading
edge training technologies to enable learners to access education
and training at the workplace or home.

The Conference format includes keynote speakers and workshop
presentations on technologies and information policies applied to
training and education initiatives in industry, government, and
educational/training institutions. A concurrently running Trade
Show will display some of the new technology, hardware, and
software being used in training applications.

Guest speakers:

Opening Remarks:

Dr. David F. Strong, President and Vice-Chancellor,
University of Victoria

Television/Computer Convergence for the Next Century:
Effects on Education and Training:

Mr. Frank Ogden, a.k.a. Dr. Tomorrow, one of a few
true Canadian futurists, author of the best selling
book "The Last Book You'll Ever Read".

Educational Implications of the Telecommunications
Revolution:

Dr. Tony Bates, Executive Director, Research and
Strategic Planning, Open Learning Agency of BC

Education's New Frontiers:

Mr. Brian Wesley, Managing Director,
BC Tel Discovery Learning

Tendencies, Reflexes and Needs: Unchanging Bodies in a
Changing Technological World:

hosted lunch with Dr. Martin Collis, University of
Victoria

CANARIE: Towards an Information Highway:

Mr. Pat Sampson, Director, Technology Alliances (former
Acting President, CANARIE Inc.)

Trade Show:

Featuring demonstrations of high technology training
applications

Panel Discussion:

Policy issues for Technology-based Training and Education:
Visions for the Future

Current Panel members:

Mr. William Young, Faculty Member, Canadian Centre for
Management Development, RADIAN Learning and Communications
Network, Ottawa

Ms. Judith Moses, Director General, Labour Market Outlook
and Sectoral Analysis, Human Resources Development Canada,
Hull, PQ

Mr. Jamie Hum, Director of Information Policy, New Media
Branch, Industry Canada, Ottawa

Workshops:

Strategic Design: University of Victoria,
Training with Technology Division of Continuing Studies

Computer Based Training First Class Systems, White Rock,
BC

Video Disk-Interactive MultiMedia Learning Corp.,
Burnaby, BC

Computer Conferencing SMART Technologies, Calgary,
AB

Virtual Reality TERRA/ SAT T.V. Intl., Victoria,
BC; Dept. of National Defense,
CFB Esquimalt; National Film
Board of Canada, Montreal

Video Teleconferencing BC Systems Corp., Victoria, BC

Electronic Performance Centre for Information Technolo-
Support Systems gies Innovation (CITI), Industry
Canada, Laval, PQ

Multimedia Based Training Sanctuary Woods Multimedia Corp.,
Victoria, BC; OVID Technologies,
Victoria, BC

Registration: On or before January 21, 1994
$395 + GST = $422.65 CDN

After January 21, 1994
$450 + GST = $481.50 CDN

Student $200 + GST = $214.00 CDN
(full-time student with valid student i.d.)

For information contact: Merrick Van Dongen
Conference Coordinator, LETT '94
Telephone: (604) 721-8779
Fax: (604) 721-8774
E-mail: MERRICK@xxxxxxxxxxxx

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Report from the 1993 O2 Event in Rotterdam, "Sustainable Lifestyles".
Jeremy Quinn jermq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Event, took place in the Holland-Amerika Lijn building in Rotterdam
Docks, between 25th and 27th November 1993. It included 120 participants
from 28 countries, split into 12 workshops. The titles of the workshops
were:-
Product Qualities, Culinary Culture, City Life, Clothes and Fashion,
Leisure, Information Ecology, Supermarkets, Room for living, Radical
Rethinking, New Business Concepts, Status Symbols, Games Fun and Education.

During introductory lectures by Ezio Manzini, Victor Papanek and Goos
Geursen, we were exhorted to find means or develop understandings as to how
to attain sustainable lifestyles. How, for instance, do we reduce our
consumption globally by a factor of 20:1, how do you make a massive change
like this, attractive?
Reduce/Reuse/Recycle.....former needs more effort.

Obviously due to the scale of the issue and the time constraints, a very
"broad brush", almost abstract approach had to be taken.

I took part in the Information Ecology Workshop, (along with our esteemed
host Maurice Barnwell). What follows is my personal understanding of the
subjects we discussed.

What is Information Ecology?
How can we use information and an understanding of info-eco to promote a
sustainable future?

What seemed at first to some of us as a kind of "shotgun wedding" of two
very different subjects, eventually lead to what we felt were some
interesting insights.

Topics

* Substitution.
Where, how, can the consumption of Material Resources, be substituted for
the consumption of Informational Resources?
We cannot expect people to migrate to the info world if all they can become
are "info-junkies", just absorbing low quality, utilitarian, mass market
media.

* Access - Enablement - Trust - Responsibility.
In the material world we are accustomed to a deep level of creativity,
(though this is usually limited to the "good taste" we display in the
products we chose to consume). That creativity is unequally distributed
(like everything else). In the Info world, we are not accustomed to that
widespread creativity, most people are purely "users", they have no
opportunity to create. This elitism is a self fulfilling prophecy. More and
more we tend to think only some people have anything worthwhile to offer.
This trend leads to the "jack in, chill out" culture, where the elite have
no trust and the masses have no responsibility. Where individuals feel they
can have no meaningful impact, so why bother trying?

* Meaning - Message - Satisfaction.
In the west/north in particular, we have lost the roots to the "natural"
world that gave our lives meaning. We have replaced it with the material
consumer society, that advertises itself as being able to offer happiness,
but is usually devoid of meaning.
This often causes us to over-consume, searching in vain for that
object/experience that will satisfy us.

* Info pollution - Filter - Consumption.
Info consumers have no personal empowerment from the info (media) they
consume. It merely pacifies, homogenises, smoothes over the cracks.
We have already begun to pollute a "world" (the info world), that we have
barely even begun to understand how we can use.
As fellow users of the Internet, I am sure you will understand that the
sheer volume and phenomenal growth of information available, makes that
information less and less useful. We need better filters to extract the
meaning we require.

* Humane - Spirit - Ritual
"Humanised" info provides background, contextualizes the message-gift. We
need to subvert this new digital medium, to better suit ourselves. Gone are
the days of trying to adapt to the machines. Without adapting the info
world to ourselves, we cannot expect to reveal it's true potential.

* Exchange - Wisdom
North/South, East/West, we each hold a part of that giant jigsaw puzzle
that is humanity. We all need to gain new and re-gain old, wisdom. Without
this, we are condemned to re-live old mistakes, forever.

* Software v Hardware - Service v Product
Services encourage durable, adaptable, repairable delivery hardware.

The official report from the conference is due to be published in February
1994. For more information, please contact the O2 Event office on
+31 10 2650999 (voice)
+31 10 2650772 (fax)

What is O2?
O2, set-up in 1986, is a loosely based international network of designers
and related professionals, dedicated to the promotion of "Green Design".
The collaborative work of it's members includes such areas as :-
Design Experimentation, Research, Publishing, Education, Exhibitions,
Conferences, Consultancy.

For more information about O2 Global Network please contact
Iris V de Keijzer on +31 33 611 046 (The Netherlands)
or o2info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Technology and Postmodern Culture

In 1994 there will be a continuation of the lecture/round
table series on "Technology and Postmodern Culture" developed by the Center
for Interdisciplinary Studies in Art and Design at The Ohio State
University. Five visiting speakers from a variety of disciplines will
discuss topics related to the theme during the Winter Quarter (four more
speakers are scheduled for Spring Quarter). All lectures will take place in
the Wexner Center Film/Video Theatre on the OSU campus.

Alan Rath
"Artists Talk"
Wednesday, January 19, 5:30 pm
Alan Rath is an artist from Oakland, California with a degree in Electrical
Engineering from MIT. His techno-art, always kinetic and often interactive,
combines and rearranges elements from the realms of sculpture and
installation, science, video, and the technological landscape.

Brian D'Amato
"Interactivity, Freedom, and Mind Control"
Wednesday, January 26, 4:30 pm
Artist and writer Brian D'Amato is the author of the novel "Beauty," and a
founding member of Softworlds, Inc., a collaborative research studio for
the development and publication of interactive art and alternate realities.
D'Amato and his Softworlds colleagues are creating a multi-user interactive
installation, "The Imperial Message," that will open at the Wexner Center
in May.

Bruce Wagner
"Everything Must Go"
Wednesday, February 2, 4:30 pm
Bruce Wagner wrote, and co-produced with Oliver Stone, the television
mini-series on virtual reality entitled "Wild Palms." He is the author of
"Force Majeure," a novel, and scripts for such films as "Scenes for a Class
Struggle in Beverly Hills" and "Nightmare on Elm Street 3." He is currently
writing, and co-producing with Francis Ford Coppola, "White Dwarf," a
four-hour mini-series. He will show video clips and discuss the making of
"Wild Palms."

Lisa Cartwright
"Gender and Medical Imaging Technologies"
Wednesday, February 16, 4:30 pm
Lisa Cartwright teaches media and cultural studies at the University of
Rochester, NY. Her essays on the visual cultures of science and medicine
have appeared in "Camera Obscura," "Representations," "Zone," and
elsewhere. She co-curated "The Final Frontier," an exhibition on the body
and technology, for the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York.

Langdon Winner
"Technological Design and Civic Culture"
Wednesday, March 2, 5:30 pm
Langdon Winner, Professor of Science and Technology Studies at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute, NY, is the author of "The Whale and the Reactor: A
Search for Limits in an Age of High Technology." Mr. Winner is writing a
book on the politics of design, drawing on political theory, architecture,
and contemporary technological development.

Free public lectures take place on Wednesday, with round table discussions
for a small group of interested graduate students/faculty/professionals
taking place the following morning. The Center is accumulating written and
visual materials from the lectures/round tables for future publication.

Susan King Roth
Department of Industrial Design
Co-director, Center for Interdisciplinary studies in Art and Design
College of the Arts
The Ohio State University
sroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* IDFORUM is edited by: *
* Maurice Barnwell * GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
* * *
* Winters College, * Voice: 416 921 9148 *
* York University, * *
* 4700 Keele Street, * FAX: 416 736 5715 *
* North York, Ontario * *
* Canada. M3J 1P3 * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* CONTRIBUTIONS *
* All readers are encouraged to contribute to IDFORUM *
* All general comments, questions and discussion *
* should be sent to the list; *
* *
* IDFORUM@xxxxxxxxxxxx *
* *
* Short articles (up to 500 words), book reviews, *
* Exhibition notices, position announcements and *
* calls for papers should be sent, text format only *
* maximum 73 characters per line, to the list editor; *
* GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
* *