"A Universal Language," An International Exchange of Art

Dear College or University Educator,

Howdy from Texas, Bob Fromme here.

I was asked by Ray Hernandez, Art Department Head at Palo Alto
College in San Antonio, Texas, to help organize a global exchange
of college, university and art school student work. With your help,
we hope the 'Universal Language' of the Visual Arts will provide
an international exchange of issues, ideas and techniques from
school to school. Of course, the exchange will also foster a spirit
of peace and goodwill in the Global Village. Those of you who
participate will also be making history. We believe that this event
will be among the first project of this kind on the college and
university level to be organized using e-mail.

E-mail and the Internet have proven to be wonderful tools for
linking people all over the world who share a commitment to the
emerging creative developments of their unique cultures. Are you
one of these persons? Will you serve as a contact for art
educators and art students in your neighborhood of the Global Village?
The job of 'contact person' is simple. You use e-mail to become a
point of contact in your area.

1. Locate art instructors and students in your area who want to
participate.

2. Fill in the information for participation ( located below ) and
send it back to me at <rfromme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>. I will be your
central contact person for all of the locations; keeping you all
informed as schools get connected and as the project develops.

3. As news of the developing project is sent to you, pass it on to
your group of young artists and art instructors. If questions
or ideas develop at your location, e-mail them to me and I will
see that all participating locations get involved. I will keep
an address list, receive messages from all locations, and
transfer messages out to all participants. As we work out a time
for the deadline for shipping the finished art work, I will help
all of you stay informed.

4. The finished art will be sent through the regular postal system.
To save shipping costs, we suggest that the work is sent without
the additional weight of matte or frames. The work should not
be larger than normal postal restrictions of size. Students who
work in architecture, sculpture, ceramics, etc. can photograph
their three-dimensional work and send the prints or slides in
the exchange.
We encourage the students to include written statements about their
art work. The statement can be written in any language. This
experience will help them learn to articulate their thoughts and
clarify their thinking about the content in their art work.

The art which arrives at each location will become a "Gift of
Good Will" and become the property of the receiving school in
exchange for the work which they send to each of the other
participating schools.

After some thought to our friends in the Southern Hemisphere, We have
set the following schedule for our project. We hope this is acceptable
to all of you. Please let us know if the dates present a problem the
students and faculty at your location. There is time to make changes
and I hope all of you will find this exchange to be a very rewarding
experience.

Project Schedule Deadlines

Send us information and
the notification of your
intent to participate: Nov. 15, 1993 - Feb. 15, 1994

Create the art work : Jan. 10, 1994 - Feb. 27, 1994

Ship your 2/D art work.
(slides and photograps
for 3/D work): Feb 28, 1994 - March 14, 1994

Your local exhibitions: March 31, 1994 - (Your decision)

If you know of others who might want to participate in the art
exchange, please forward this note to them or send me their e-mail
address. You may cross post this letter to lists in your area.

You can confirm your intent to participate in this global exchange
of art by returning the following information:
Send this to: <rfromme@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <71664.2532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

School, College or University Name:
Address:
:
:
Country:
School Year Begins:
School Year Ends:
Contact person's name:
E-mail address:
Art Instructor's Name:
Approximate number of students:
Age range of students:
(18 years or older)
Academic levels or grades:

Thank You,
Robert Fromme, Adj. Faculty Palo Alto College, SA, TX
Adj. Faculty Southwest Craft Center, SA, TX
Art Teacher Salado M.S., E.C.I.S.D., SA, TX
<rfromme@xxxxxxxxxxxx> or <71664,2532@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1-210-393-4176

******Please cross-post this to other lists in your country?*******