ARCHITECTURE: Space Frames.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 15-JAN-1994 10:39:53.80
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC"
CC:
Subj: RE: 4D Lives

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 1994 10:36:04 -0400
From: "<Mitch C. Amiano>" <AMIANO@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: 4D Lives
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC <[email protected]>

> Help me here, what exactly are octet trusses?

I tried replying once before but think it got fouled in my comm package...

An Octetruss, to use the trademarked moniker, is an OCtahedral and

TETrahedral complementary grid implimented in such a way as to form

a structural truss. (Forgive me if I answer in too simple a manner)

A truss is an engineering mechanism for dispersing loads across a

relatively long span, to enable coverage of large, primarilly horizontal

areas with a minimum of underpinning supports (posts). Most trusses

appear to be arranged to act independantly of one another, whereas

the members of an Octetruss are all part of the whole unit.

Octetruss is not the only such truss system. Other geometries have

been used to create omnidirectional truss systems; the more general

name for any one of these systems is a 'space grid' - which is to me

a more satisfying name because it gives the image of a grid filling space.

In any case, 'Space Grid' can be used for those of you out there who

want to do searches for related materials, but can't think of any

synonyms.

Mitch C. Amiano

amiano@xxxxxxxxxx