Re: Architecture and Virtual Reality

>In article <2hd1dk$fq5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Frederick Clifford
>Gibson, gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>>Architecture and Virtual Reality - Is a convergence near?
>>
>>Fake Space Labs - Menlo Park, CA

><...Much stuff deleted...>
>>
>>As a tool for understanding spatial relationships and kinetic
>>experiences during the design process, V.R. is unparalleled.
>>The ability to "hover" in space, to "zoom" through the design, to
>>approach details slowly and move around them; this is a designer's
>>dream come true. In this particular simulation, no constraints were
>>placed on speed/direction of motion, and no collision detection was
>>active. You could literally fly through walls.

><...More deleted...>

>>Missing from this simulation was direct interaction with the Virtual
>>environment. Also missing was "reality" limitation modules to allow
>>"human-like" movement through the space when desired.

><...More deleted...>

>>The ideal V.R. interface for designers will include not only
>>visualization and interaction, but the ability to create designs
>while
>>immersed in the Virtual Environment at a reasonable cost.

>A lot of what you discuss is very important to understanding the role
>that "VR" will eventually play in architectural design and
>visualization. There are many perceptual problems that may impede the
>transition of immersive environments (or VR or whatever your term may
>be) into the architectural design process. A complete field of view
>is very important to wayfinding and spatial comprehension, I would
>imagine far more important than screen resolution of the HMD. A
>friend of mine linked the field of view issue (among others) to nearly
>a 20% discrepancy in the perception of distance as compared to the
>same judgement in the real building. (Research done at the HITLab in
>'93.) The settings in the HMD for inter-ocular distance and focus and
>HMD optic lenses can also have drastic effects of the perception of
>space. As you pointed out, it is important to have some amount of
>"reality" built in to keep from flying through walls and floating and
?
|Obviously, if you are thinking in terms of APPLIED design rather
than BASIC design, there is likely to be a major limitation on
consideration of reality---as it exists today. However, although
if one thinks in terms of BASIC design within this new electronic
medium, the currently unbuildable may be considered free of these
existing constraints of today's reality. That could mean considerations
of energy as well as matter in the making of buildings. Therefore, I
have no problem with dematerializing the architectural conceptualization
As a matter of fact, it could lead to new and exciting technology!