GENERAL: DYMAXION Map Variations.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 23-JAN-1994 00:36:57.05
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC"
CC:
Subj: RE: Coords for Dymaxion Map?

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 00:28:55 EST
From: Chris Fearnley <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Coords for Dymaxion Map?
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC <[email protected]>

On Fri, 21 Jan 1994 09:44:49 EST Bruce T. Lael said:
>The Dymaxion map was created by RBF in 1943 to give a map of the
>world with minimal distortion of land masses (as compared to
>standard projection maps) and without any breaks in the
>continents.
>
>There are several versions of it, which you can get from the Fuller
>Institute in LA. The map does have Lat/Long lines on it, but I don't
>know if the icosa verticies are referenced specifically to Lat/long
>coords.

I don't believe they map one-to-one. In fact the lines of lat/lon are the
only clearly distorted feature of the map (they undergo some "bends"). The
icosa mappping can be thought of as if the icosa was placed so that each
icosa-face just touches the surface of the planet. Probably only the equator
is in one-to-one coorespondence.

>I'll dust off my copy at home and see if the verticies are marked.
>
>Good Luck!
>Bruce Lael
>lael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do Enjoy!