ART: Abstract Expressionism and Contemporary Philosophy.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 22-JAN-1994
10:51:52.76
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: abstract expressionism and modern philosophy

Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 11:48:04 -0400
From: EGAX0020@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: abstract expressionism and modern philosophy
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am currently a third year student at Dalhousie University. In my Contemporary
Studies class I am working on a paper comparing how abstract expressionism, I
am particularly interested in that oh so controversial Rothko, relates to the
philosophical theories of Theodore Adorno (about the "cultural industry" etc),
also whether this movement lends itself more readily to later ideas such as
those posited by Foulcault and Derrida about "regimes of truth" and the
displacement of the author for the audience. If anyone can suggest relevant
reading material or comment on my comparisons (are they way off?) it would
be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Julie Traves
Dalhousie University