Re: GENERAL: Mosaic.

>From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum"
>24-JAN-199
>4
> 21:37:30.74
>To: IN%"[email protected]" "Howard Lawrence"
>CC:
>Subj: RE: mosaic ...

>Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 21:34:59 -0500
>From: Michael Maranda <[email protected]>
>Subject: RE: mosaic ...
>Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
>To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
>
>Judy D Jacobson once might have wrote;
>>
>> I second Kenton's question on Mosaic....I know one can ftp Mosaic and
>> associated software from a number of sites but I hear it is tricky to
>> install and there are configuration and compatibility issues. Haven't
>> tried it yet myself.
>>
>> My understanding is that Mosaic runs under Windows (and perhaps other
>> operating system [?])...it includes viewing and audio decompression
>> software so one can approximate online multimedia on the Internet. I expect
>> one might need a slip connection to use it (?). It is a WWW browsing
>> tool... the wave of the future for Internet but still in development, I
>> gather.
>
>It does indeed require a SLIP connection. For use with Windows, you must
>also have Ethernet in your system. It apparently makes cruising the
>backwaters of the net a breeze -- although one problem is that you do not
>necessarily know where the information that you pick up actually rests.
>--
>
> Michael Maranda
> [email protected]

One small correction,

Mosaic requires _EITHER_ a SLIP connection _OR_ Ethernet, but not both.
SLIP is a way of getting an Ethernet type connection without the Ethernet.
SLIP uses a Serial port (usually a modem) to convince the computers on both
ends that it is hard wired to the host.

John Anderson
[email protected]

"And what is good Phaedrus, and what is not good --
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?" -- Robert M. Pirsig