Re: Career as an Architect

- - The original note follows - -

From: savasp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter F Savasta)
Subject: Re: Career as an Architect
Date: 31 Jan 1994 10:55:58 GMT

Like you son I had the same start in wanting to become an Architect.
Basically everyone else who posted is right about the use of artskills. What is
most important to the schools I have applied to is that the student has alot of
creativity. Finding a job in a firm is great but in the meantime there are
other places of work which can be just as rewarding for the field, i.e.
woodworking, construction, graphic arts, arts of any type.

My only regret is not enrolling in some art courses before hand. As one of my
professors put it, "you can talk about your designs all you want, but the best
media to communicate you ideas are through drawing."

Also to recommend a school, RPI is a good school is focuses on critical inquiry.
All the principles in architecture we discover by ourselves, and we focus on
what we think is important in our design as well as open more doors for
exploration. I heard that RPI is high on the top ten list of Architecture
Schools, but then again how many lists are there. Also unlike the RPI namesake
the program tends to be a nice mix of art vs. technical.

Also another thing, to design a building an Architects stamp is not necessary.
Only 10% of the buildings in the united states are designed bu architects. The
rest are done by engineers, contractors and real-estate developers. Which could
explain the lack of jobs in the field. In other countrys anything built from a
barn to an airport must be designed by certified architects. Not to say that
Engineers, contractors or real-estate developers can't design but it makes you
want to think about the purpose of

Also you can practice in architecture with a B.Arch or a M.Arch.
To practice as an architect you have to pass the accreditation test which you
may only take after 3 years of working in a firm. It may vary from state to
state.

Also some architects have the letters A.I.A after thier names. The A.I.A. -
American Instutute of Architects is similar to the American Medical Association
in that you do not need to be a member in order to be a practicing Architect.
So A.I.A. does not necessarily assume accreditdation.

Sorry this is so long
Hope this can help

--
reply to savasp@xxxxxxx Life can only be understood backwards