Re: Career as an Architect

- - The original note follows - -

From: beid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bradley F Eid)
Subject: Re: Career as an Architect
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 21:55:05 GMT

Angela Dellutri (dellutri@xxxxxxx) wrote:
: My 14 year old son has become very interested in designing homes.

Although I am not an architect , I do not think you need to be an architect
to design homes. For example the home building firm I work for, was in
business for over thirty years before hiring its first architect.

: Can you please tell me are there any types of junior (grunt/gopher) work
: for architecture firms that he would be able to do doing the next few
: summers.

Home construction peaks in the summer in many parts of the country. Those
firms do need extra hands in the summer. Those firms may even need extra
draftsmen during that time frame. The experience probably will not be
regarded as architectural experience. But I think the experience is still
worthwhile.

: I would appreciate some information on what it takes to become an
: architect. Are there better colleges than others for this field??? Thanks!

Engineers also use computers to design parts of buildings, although the
work is not as glamorous, because most people do not see the electrical
or mechanical systems that go into buildings. This may be heretical to
say on this group, but engineers have more employment options than
architects too.

My advice on preparation for studies in engineering: take math and physics
courses. The Programming and CAD packages can always be learned
later. Engineers require a four-year degree from a school with an
accredited engineering degree. For undergraduate studies I do not feel
the advantages of big name schools offset their disadvantages. (I did my
BS at Purdue and MS at George Washington Univ.) For graduate studies a
big name school is important.

Bradley Eid | <beid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
graduate student | Department of Electrical Engineering