Re: Career as an Architect

Hello,

A couple of options that you might think about/look into :

1) Some schools (well, at least Kansas State, where I am) have summer
sessions for persons who have just graduated high school. Since I have
not been part of it, I cannot really tell you what they do, other than
basic design work. As Architecture school is fairly rigorous, this
might serve to give the student a basic introduction.
2) Your high school might arrange "career weeks/monthes" where the student
spends time with a professional. The value of this will vary with the
professional... if they do tract house additions, it might be discouraging.
Likewise, talking to college students might give the impression that
school is like the real world, but it would give him an idea of what he
could be in for.
3) Concentrating on architecture to the exclusion of all other things should
be avoided. Study some psychology, physics, business, computer programming,
or what ever other interests you have. You WILL have to do some of this
later in school; but at least here, architecture a) will rule your life,
(or a reasonable facimile thereof)and you will want to escape it at least
every once in a while, 2) the broader you background, the better you will
be able to combine Architecture with the Real World.

Hope this helped somewhat,

Michael Schuler
College of Architecture and Design
Kansas State University

PS 4) If you get a chance, see if local architecture schools have a chapter
of the American Institute of Architectural Students. Look into talking
to them or attending regional or nation conventions (Forum `94 is at
University of Kentucky, Lexington. This is the best thing I have done
while in school).