Re: Looking for AIA stats

- - The original note follows - -

From: GLangdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Geoff M Langdon)
Subject: Re: Looking for AIA stats
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 06:51:53 GMT

Garry Stevens (garry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

The AIA publishes this information periodically in the AIA Memo, which
goes out to us all each month - you may find your local architecture
library has some (look on the back cover of several issues).

At last count there were some 56,000 members of the AIA, representing
roughly 52% of all registered Architects in the United States.

High dues, which in some areas (like Boston) can ammount to several
thousand dollars a year (there is an added charge for firms for each
person in the firm), apparently are listed as the primery reason some
architects do not join (or remain members of) the AIA. "I have to pay
WHAT just to add AIA after my name ?!!!" is the typical cry.
Since the average public does not know what RA means, they usually assume
that AIA after ones name means that a person is a registered architect
(which is sort of true).
Geoff Langdon