Re: Public Domain CAD for House Design? (FAQed again)

- - The original note follows - -

From: GLangdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Geoff M Langdon)
Subject: Re: Public Domain CAD for House Design? (FAQed again)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 06:28:03 GMT

Mike Coleman (coleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
: I know this has probably just been asked, but does anyone know of CAD freeware
: for the design of houses? I am looking for something(s) to do floorplan
: layout, "massing" (display in 3-d, and conceivably the full-blown detailed
: design (e.g. where does each 2.4 go?)

: Ideally this thing would run on X under Unix, but DOG/Windoze would be fine,
: too.

Really, you've got to be serious. It takes a great deal of effort to
write something as sophistocated as CADD, let alone one with the added
intelligence to do architecture (walls, windows, doors, furn, etc.) well.

There are only 3 really PD software packages I know of that do CADD, one
called DaveCADD, available on lots of BBS systems, and I forget the names
of the other two. All 3 run under DOS, and none do walls or have furniture.

Furniture libraries are the biggest thing. Yes, you could build your own
3D furniture symbol library, but buying one that has a lot in it that is
to accruate size and so on is very valuable. Some of the really cheapo
CAD programs out there now - MyHouse and DataCAD - are valuable even if
only for their symbol libraries.

If you do choose to use DaveCADD or whatever, the cheapest source for
symbol libraries is the CheapWare network. Call 617-367-9622 for a
current listing from the Shu Associates. They list over 250 different
libraries now and charge only $5 per disk for a disk full of symbols
already organized into categories.

Woops, almost forgot about another one - NorthCAD.

Also, you can render / model with the PD programs Vivid and POV, both
also available from various BBS systems.

What you may enjoy is a newsletter about using such PD and Shareware 3D
CADD software called - 3D Artist. call 505-982-3532 for a sample issue.
Geoff Langdon