DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?

- - The original note follows - -

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 20:44:56 EST
From: Firman Hadi <B48CC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?

I've been an architecture student for five years. During which time
i've noticed the emergence of a new arch. language: DECONSTRUCTIVISM.
Exemplified by the works of Eisenmann, Himmelblau, and Zaha Hadid to name
a few.
At first, I thought this was going to be another architectural fad
that will go away quietly (eg. Post Modernism). I was intrigued by this
new movement however. The buildings designed by these "progressive"
architects have a uniquely sculptural character. I notice, however, that
the spaces created by these buildings are rather inefficient at best, and
anti-human at worst (eg. Hadid's new firehouse).
There's one thing that I still don't understand; what are the
logic behind Deconstructivist Architectures? Although I've been trying
to understand this movement by reading the books that deal with this
subject, I still don't quite get it. If anyone can give me a short defi-
nition of Deconstructivism, I would really appreciate it. Furthermore,
I'm curious to what architecture students have to say about this
new phenomenon. Finally, to practicing architects out there, I'm curious
if these ISMS have any bearing on their "real world" designs.

Firman Hadi (Scandal) |
CCNY - Architecture | "I stand behind all of my misstatements"
B48CC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | -Dan Quayle