Re: The Golden Section

>Does anyone know where I can find information on the Golden Section in terms
>of its application in architecture?

Oh goody, I get to cite myself! A little info can be found in G. Stevens,
The Reasoning Architect (McGraw-Hill, 1990). A great deal can be found in
H. E. Huntly, The Divine Proportion (Dover, NY). A totally bonkers
exposition is in T. Brunes, The Secrets of ancient Geometry and Its Use
(Rhodos, Copenhagen)-- not an easy to find book, thank goodness.

A good antidote to all the usual architectural number mysticism is J. J.
Coulton (1975) "Towards Understanding Greek Temple Design", British School
of Archaeology at Athens Annual, no. 70 p. 59.

From what I understand, a summary of its use would be:

Classical period: Extremely rarely if ever used. Only whole number ratios
used. Golden number an unimportant mathematical concept.

Medieval Europe: Never used. For a contrary opinion, see John James'
various books on Chartres cathedral.

Rennaissance Europe: Maybe, but no architect seems to have talked about it
much. Whole number ratios still most important, with some use of root 2
(from Vitruvius). Golden number becomes a big fad with Platonist humanists,
and used in painting, etc. Mathematicians, though, find it uninteresting,
in general. They have more important things to work on, like inventing
negative numbers.

Modern: Every so often someome chances upon the Golden number and its
amusing properties. Wonderful. Usually entrances people who are no good at
maths and who are inclined to astrology, numerology and other
quasi-scientific methods of revelation.

Just one cynic's view....
Garry Stevens
Dept of Architectural and Design Science
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
AUSTRALIA