Re: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?

- - The original note follows - -

From: st93ak5s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Cullen)
Subject: Re: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 23:02:49 GMT

In article <94038.204456B48CC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Firman Hadi
<B48CC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There's one thing that I still don't understand; what are the
> logic behind Deconstructivist Architectures? Although I've been trying
> to understand this movement by reading the books that deal with this
> subject, I still don't quite get it. If anyone can give me a short defi-
> nition of Deconstructivism, I would really appreciate it. Furthermore,
> I'm curious to what architecture students have to say about this
> new phenomenon. Finally, to practicing architects out there, I'm curious
> if these ISMS have any bearing on their "real world" designs.

I have to agree with you about the sculptural quality of Deconstructivism.
Though I don't agree with you about post modernism though. I don't think
post modernism is fading away, but is appearing somewhat ambigously in
Deconstructivism. (It is also being outshined by this movement) Frank Gehry
is a good example of that. He has "exploded" his buildings and set them in
a "landscape" with some historical details. I had History of Modern
Architecture last term and this is an excerpt right out of the book my
professor wrote:
"The harshness of Gehry and the Deconstructivist approach seems a
diametrical opposite to the fantasy of Disney products by Isosaki, Stern
and Graves. The situation is further complicated by concerns in the 1990's
for ecological designing and the "greening" of architecture. The dichotomy
would appear to be whether one addressses social issues or escapes to
Disneyworld."

"I think the idea of misogyny is a stimulant to the feminists, and it's
rather like anti-Semites looking for Jewish noses everywhere."
Lucian Freud's response to his supposed misogyny and sexism.