Re: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?

- - The original note follows - -

From: ccav38@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("I.Ballouz")
Subject: Re: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?
Date: 9 Feb 1994 13:41:57 GMT

In article <QhK6q8_00iV9MBwtM7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "Adrian B. Lebuffe"
<al2w+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am an architecture student also and based on a lecture series I
>can give you the following information.
>
> The definitaive source for understanding the ideas behind
>Deconstructivism (or Neo-Constructivism) are the writings of Jaque (?)
>Derrida. He is however a writer who prides himself on being difficult
>to understand. So, for a more readable explanation look up Michael
>Benedikt's "Derrida's Deconstruction, Through Architecture" which is
>essentially a translation of Derrida into readable English.
>
> In this article Benedikt outlines Derrida's 4 principals:
> -Differance
> -Hierarchy Reversal (ie Eisenman's Wexner Center)
> -Marginality and Centrality
> -Separation and Meaning
>
> All of which are rather complicated ideas but Benedikt does a good
>job of relating them to well known examples (Villa Savoy, Exetar
>Library, Taliesin, Phillip Johnson's House, etc)
>
> Some general ideas are critiquing all method (of architecture),
>liberation from all systems, legitimating the absence of criteria, and
>breaking the link between architecture and habitation. Eisenman is the
>best known practitioner and many of his works are expressive of his
>belief that 'function follows form'. He has been quoted as saying that
>his architecture unsettles, destabilizes and confuses at all cost.
>
>I hope this helps.

I recently came accross a book that is supposed to explain the idea
of Deconstruction. I did not read the book, but my first impression
was that it is a bit difficult to read (with very few images, perhaps
it is beacuse they wanted to contentrate on the philosphical sides?).

The book looks at Deconstruction in several other fields and not just
in Architecture. It also has an interview with the above mentioned french
philosopher: Jacques Derrida.

Title: Deconstruction and the visual arts.
Art, Media, Architecture.

Authors: P. Brunette, D. Wills

Publisher: Cambridge University Press

Year: 1994

ISBN: 0-521-44271-0 Hard back
0-521-44781-X Paper back.

--
* IBRAHIM BALLOUZ ** DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE *
* [email protected] ** STRATHCLYDE UNIVERSITY GLASGOW SCOTLAND U.K. *