Re: DECONSTRUCTIVISM anyone?

Someone recently wrote:

> Maybe an equivalent act in architecture would be the act, by an architecture
> critic, of producing another building as a means of offering critical
> insights into the original object of the criticism.

Great idea...but why call this 'deconstructionism?' Why not just call it
'stop complaining and do it better yourself?'

> In my view, I have always felt as though deconstruct....as applied to the
> abstract humanities such as English and Philosophy, as contrasted to the
> plastic arts such as painting, sculpting and architecture, which result
> in a physical product, has caused the discipline to turn against itself,

Here, I believe is the core of the problem, and I am not attributing it to
the writer here. The problem is that very many people think of
architecture is 'art.' That 'artistic fallacy' is the core of the problem.
Architecture is a very valuable social skill to which the great practioner
may bring great artistic impulse and skill and create places which are
wonderful, inspiring and so forth. But architecture, no less than
plumbing, is not about art but about meeting other people's needs.

Cheers,
David Sucher