ARTL CAA Conference.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 20-FEB-1994
18:44:08.33
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: CAA conference

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 1994 21:58:00 CST
From: [email protected]
Subject: CAA conference
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Got back last night from the College Art Association Conference in NYC, where
I participated in a panel dealing with the Internet. Thought a report might
be in order. The panel was scheduled through the lunch hour and that usually
means a small turn-out. Wrong. The room was filled to overflowing. People
sitting on the floor, standing in the back and out the door into the hall.
There is a GREAT deal of interest in what we are doing. It seemed that the
thrust of our panel was to inform people as to how they might be on-line,
get connected, and get going. The dominant flavor of the panel had to do with
art history (the chair of the panel: Prof. Marylin Lavin of Princeton).
And I suspect that a majority of the audience were historians. Yet, there
seemed great interest in my handouts (they disappeared quickly and we had
more printed) which detailed the protocol for subscribing to Artcrit,
Clay-L, Artist-L, and related lists. I would suspect that we will have
some new members as a result of the panel.
-
It is interesting to note that what we do here represents a cutting edge of
electronic communication to many people. (Arcane though some of our systems
may be.) We seem to have jumped ahead of a great many people with the establis
hment of protocols for exchanging images. Others are talking about how excit-
ing it will be to do that. If any of you wish the text of my remarks, let
me know and I will e-mail the to you.
-
The bottom line here is that I was really proud to talk about this list and
what happens on it. We have got something really good and important here.
B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ N I U . B I T N E T
Internet: U20BXM1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx