ART: ORIGINAL vs. REPRODUCTION.

From: IN%"al252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 21-FEB-1994 08:06:03.39
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: this reproduction thing

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 07:53:33 -0500
From: Larry Boswell <al252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: this reproduction thing
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>AGE OF MECHANICAL REPRODUCTION, Berger was able to articulate how our
+ perception
> of art has changed due to the process of reproduction. Reproduction has
> changedthe work, AND our perception of the work.
>mkaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A reproduction can capture something of the physical appearance
of a work, but nothing of the spirit attached to the original.
The original (say a painting) is more than just an arrangement
of colours on a flat poster-like surface. It is a physical
actuality, a touchstone, and a creative link between artist
and audience. The original is the brushstrokes, the texture
of canvas (or whatever the support is), the reflective
surface qualities, the thousand other qualities which are
embalmed in the reproduction, becoming pale imitation.

Yes, the original is spiritual, yes, the original is holy...

(the reproduction is a mere artistic map which tells something
of the original, but the original must be visited to be
experienced.)

I enjoy seeing people's faces when they stand before an original
which previously they had only known from posters and printed
re-productions... their faces light up as though they have
been struck by sudden insight, "I didn't realize it was
so incredible", they say, whispering as though sharing some
secret knowledge.

Reproductions remind us of genius, in a thin, insipid way...

Reproductions have done more damage to artists than anything
else in the last half of this century. The abundance of
cheap 'art' has replaced a large percentage of the market
for original art. People have been led to believe that
reproductions are 'investments' and have great value
because an artist scrawls his name across the bottom
of some poster or other. A lot of money has been made
by swindlers and scam-artists...

--
Larry Boswell