Re: modern architecture in Jerusalem

- - The original note follows - -

From: dbrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (David R. Brill)
Subject: Re: modern architecture in Jerusalem
Date: 21 Feb 94 04:14:54 GMT

hooghe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Hooghe Muriel) writes:

>Hello,
>My sister has to study the 'implant' of modern architecture in Jerusalem.
>Does anyone know about this or know any books about this?
>Thanks!
>Muriel
>hooghe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a book (in English) by the Israeli-Canadian architect Moshe
Safdie entitled Jerusalem - The Future of the Past (1989, Houghton-
Mifflin), which describes the various projects this modern architect
worked on in Jerusalem, as well as the larger issues of "implanting"
modern construction in the historic city. Mostly it dwells on his
personal experiences and the process of designing in Jerusalem, but
it may be just what your sister is looking for.

There is an excellent series of books on the general subject of architecture
in Jerusalem by the architect David Kroyanker. These books are in Hebrew,
but they have wonderful illustrations. I don't know if any translations are
available, nor do I know if the series covers the period after the Six-
Day War. (The only volume I own covers the period 1860-1914). The name of
the series is "Ad'rikhalut b'Yerushalyim" (Architecture in Jerusalem -
Periods and Styles) published by Keter, Jerusalem (1987).

David R. Brill
dbrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx