Deconstructivism and the Russian avant garde

- - The original note follows - -

From: st93ak5s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Cullen)
Subject: Deconstructivism and the Russian avant garde
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 04:15:18 GMT

To Howard Park and all:
I have been doing some digging to bolster my opinions about
Deconstructivism. I have found the following article which does agree with
my theories about deconstructivism.
From H.W. Janson's "History of Art" :
Historicism addresses only the decorative veneer of the International style
but Deconstructivism, another tendency that has been gaining momentum since
1980, goes much farther in challenging its substance. It does so,
paradoxically enough, by returning to one of the earliest sources of
modernism: the Russian avant garde. (Gasp! It wasn't Eisenman?) The Russian
experiment in architecture proved short lived, and few of its ideas ever
made it beyond the laboratory stage.(Gasp! It was an aesthetic movement,
that fostered today's Deconstructivists?) Recent architects, inspired by
the bold sculpture of the Constructivists and the graphic designs of the
Suprematists, seek to violate the integrity of modern architecture by
subverting its internal structure, which the Russians themselves did little
to undermine.( Oh no! It was a group of Russian painters, graphic artists
and sculptors that inspired recent architects? I thought Howard said my
points about other areas in artistic fields that Deconstructivism affected
were irrelevant to architecture?)
Here's the real shocker: Although Deconstructivist designs have won major
awards, their experimental approach and ambitious scale have discouraged
their actual construction. Oh my God! Decontructivism is an aesthetic
movement on paper, like expressionism? I think I need to lie down.

"I think the idea of misogyny is a stimulant to the feminists, and it's
rather like anti-Semites looking for Jewish noses everywhere."
Lucian Freud's response to his supposed misogyny and sexism.