Re: McGill/Habitat minimum cost prgs.

On Tue, 1 Mar 1994, Dan McEvers wrote:

> - Is 'Out On Bale' from Tuscon, AZ, represented on the net?
I checked Econet and didn't find them.

I am not sure but thay have a ten minute video for $18 that demonstrates
the use of straw bales for disaster relief and temporary shelter. It
shows four people building a structure in one morning at a cost of $212.

The Last Straw Quarterly Newsletter is available for $28 year.
General Info Package for $15.
92 Structural Engineering Test Summary $15.
plus 5..00 extra out of US

Out on Bale, (un)LTD
1037 E, Linden St.
Tucson Arizona 85719

Another Straw Bale resouce is:

Steve Kemble
Sustainable Systems Support
PO BOX 318
BISBEE, AZ 85603
voice 602.432.4292

I also met a man today who is from the Panhandle of Texas today at the
Green Conference gere in Austin. He is going into production with a
product called Stramit which compresses straw into building panels.
They will cost abot $18.00 a panel and are 2.25" thick by 4' wide up to
12' in length. Raw material is straw paper and glue. About $.55 square foot.
2425.51 lbs loading. Fire resistant. Sound absorbant. Can be used for
roofing, celings, walls, flooring, furniture abd environmentally correct. It
was really cool. Used worldwide.

Myron McCarter
Perryton Economic Development Corporation
PO BOX 580
Perryton, TX 79070
voice 806.435.2262
fax 806.435.5123

> - Is Mother Earth News on the net?
Mother Earth News is available fron Lexis in full text about two
months after publication. Some campuses have contracts with Nexis/Lexis.
It costs money.

In California at Berkeley I found the following:
Mother Earth News

The full text of recent articles from this journal is available
in the MAGS database on the Melvyl Library System for access by
currently enrolled or employed UC faculty, staff and students.

> - Does anyone have any info on the proposed electronic village somewhere
> in Colorado?

I know of the InfiNet Sustainable Sources network here in Austin, Tx
I saw a demo today on it and it was pretty impressive. It uses a
FirstClass graphical BBS interface.

Membership is $30 quarterly or $95 annually plus long distanve to Austin.
I will post more soon on this service. I spoke to them about copying their
public directory but it will be a few weeks off.

InFinet
108 Royal Way Ste 1004
Austin, TX 78737
Voice: 512.288.5223

I was impressed at the collection of data on issues related to sustainable
resources, design, etc. I will have more soon.

Hope this helps.

Jay