Re: What's wrong with Architecture!

- - The original note follows - -

From: anthonyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Anthony Catsimatides)
Subject: Re: What's wrong with Architecture!
Date: 6 Mar 1994 18:32:43 GMT

brownlee@xxxxxxxxxx (Donald Brownlee) writes:
> In article <1994Feb28.174459.1@clstac> cvacsgrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >
> >I truly think that Architecture is obsolete. The world, every day, becomes
> >more and more mechanized and efficient. Engineering is what is in demand. No
> >one wants these architectural artists around to draw up pretty pictures that
> >only serve to masturbate the architects egos. Their designs are not
understood

Have you ever visited NYC's upper east side were all the bridges are of
utilitarian steel and concrete and all the buildings are brick structural
nightmares? Get a grip, this structural nonsense went through it's
hayday and was proven to be about as human as robocop on acid.

If you're going to read LeCorbusier and Write, read between the lines, not
just the words... Next time you're in California, take a look at what engineers
have done to the landscape. Definately a far cry from inteligent integration
with the environment. Architects do need to wake up, but not the the nightmares
of engineering as was thought of in the past.

Take a look as some of the Space exploration programs that are in the process
of designing life in space stations. Without the design factor of ergonomics
and and aesthetic grace to make one feel comfortable, who would want to be
enclosed in a purely engineered non designed environment.

If you realy want to trip yourself out, head to Mexico's Gulf coast where all
the cars are striped down beaters americans sell to them. No interiors, no
padded seating, just pure engineering inside, the steel doors without the
'design of cloth', and no dashboards, just you and the glass and steel.