Re: Deconstruction: any examples?

- - The original note follows - -

From: st93ak5s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Michael Cullen)
Subject: Re: Deconstruction: any examples?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 00:04:12 GMT

In article <2lrppd$hs5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dsucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (david
sucher) wrote:

> Bryan L. Bowen (bb2i+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> : Check out Bernard Tschumi's "Park de Violette" (or something like that)
> : in Paris.
> : Its not a programmed space but a big urban park project. I know there is
> : at least one book on it.
>
> In what sense is it 'deconstructivist?'
It is one of the most advanced designs to get off the drawing board. Parc
de La Villette is an ensemble of brightly colored structures by Bernard
Tschumi. The geometry of the park is derived from the most basic shapes
laid out on a grid, but broken up and rearranged to create highly
unorthodox relationships both between and within the elements.The
relationships give the park a disquieting sense of instability. The
individual buildings resemble large scale sculptures extended almost to the
breaking point. Yet the tension between the reality of the built structures
and their "impossibility" results in an architectural vitality that is
unprecedented.
Paraphrased from Janson's "History of Art."
"I think the idea of misogyny is a stimulant to the feminists, and it's
rather like anti-Semites looking for Jewish noses everywhere."
Lucian Freud's response to his supposed misogyny and sexism.