Re: becoming an architect??how?

- - The original note follows - -

Subject: Re: becoming an architect??how?
From: japfaff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (P7A77 (aka Steamed Rhubarb Fondue))
Date: 24 Mar 94 21:52:42 -0500

In article <cazeved1-240394113452@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
cazeved1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Celina R. Azevedo) writes:
> I've gotten really excited about architecture and urban planning. The
> trouble is, I don't particularly have any of the prerequisites I hear that
> I would need to go on to a professional graduate program (physics,
> calculus, lots of art, etc.). I'm taking as many of these as my

Well, the best way to find out what the prerequisites are in the schools of
your choice is to get information from those schools about it. Currently, I'm
earning a BED, and there are *no* calculus, physics, OR art requirements for
us. Our first year of studios and part of our second year is very art based,
but there are no outside-art classes required. That's not saying that we don't
take these classes voluntarily - I've taken calculus, discrete math, and
linear/matrix algebra, and I'm taking courses on structures next year (physics
& math), but there are no pure physics, math, or art requirements.

>> again. Oh, by the way, it has an unusuallly high divorce rate.

Hell, my friends are all pissed at me because I don't see them at all, and I'm
just a second year undergrad student! I'm not sure how I could work *MORE*
than the near 24 hours a day I do now, though... :)

> Is everybody's outlook on the profession this bleak? Also, will

Well, I'm one of the nuts who love to design, and I've lived on practically
nothing, so I'm not too worried. I'm good, if I do say so my own self, and
I'll find a way to design somehow, even if it requires working nights at
Denny's again.

> architecture programs accept the prerequisites (physics, calculus) if they
> are taken in summer/night school? I really need to know. Please post
> here, or e-mail if you prefer. Thanks!

Every school is different. Most likely you will have to take some classes at
the school of your choosing, and that could take an extra year or so. There is
no universal law, though. The only way to find out what you need and what will
be accepted is to find out from the schools themselves.

For information on what schools are good, there are many "unbiased" sources out
there, and you can talk to architects in your area whose work you like and ask
their opinions on it.

Good luck.

SRF...
...P7A77