Student needs help

Folks -

I run the computer center at a community college. A student in our
Architectural Technology department is doing a research paper on liability
issues associated with an architect using software. If a design error
occurs, under what circumstances is the architect liable, and when, if ever,
is the software vendor liable? She's asked me for help.

This is not my field, but I did promise her to try to use the magic of
Internet to find help. Can anyone on this list advise us on where to look?
Do any of you have either experiences or strong feelings on the subject that
you would be willing to share? Anything to get us off ground zero would be
appreciated.

TIA,
John S. Mays
Onondaga Community College