GENERAL: Color Perception.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 29-MAR-1994
10:45:07.11
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Objectivity & Color

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 07:36:38 -0800
From: Raymond Lauzzana <lauzzana@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Objectivity & Color
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Some one has stated that there is good evidence that
color perception is universal. I would like to hear/see
some of this good evidence. The most obvious refutation
to this poroposition is ithe existance of color-blindness.
There are at least two kinds of color-blindness, plus
many variations on the theme of total blindness.

The next argument against the "objectivity/universality"
of color perception, is that what you describe as a
standard/uneversal observor is a statistical creation.
Any of the the modulas curves representing color perception
are statistically generated average curves and do not
represent the perception of any single individual. If
the sensitivity of an infdividual is measured at some
specific wavelength, specific results are measured which
deviate from the norm.

The most important distinction howver comes when we
discuss the "cognition" of color rather than its perception.
At the "cognitive level" our individual understandings
of color are shaped by language, culture, experience,
prior knowledge, etc. , etc.

- ray lauzzana