Re: Undergraduate Thesis - Social Architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: roy_salume@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Roy Salume)
Subject: Re: Undergraduate Thesis - Social Architecture
Date: 4 Apr 1994 23:48:26 GMT

In article <135.2.2.0N6E7B7D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
tom.steenhuysen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tom Steenhuysen) wrote:

> That 'regardless their age' becomes a crucial SOCIAL factor in
> the design. I believe that in todays STANDARDS (excluding the
> exceptional few that are good) architecture is no longer
> 'fascilitating' but rather 'estranging' and 'dividing' its
> users. Ie. Elderly are being placed in Homes, Children sent to
> schools and day-care centers, working adults go to work... It's
> a complete divided world out there!
> Anyway, I titled my proposal "Generational Architecture/Housing"
> meaning that all three generations were being intergrated in the
> design, and even complimented each other. Example: elderly
> people can be ideal 'baby-sitters' and/or 'security-eyes'...

Hi Tom,

Just a comment:
I think that economic changes (reduced wages relative to
overall cost of living) are forcing three or four generations
of a family under one roof. That roof may be larger than a
traditional suburban dwelling and may look quite modern and
spacious from without. Inside one will find more bedrooms,
bathrooms and bigger common areas without a great increase
in lot size. (In my neighborhood we call them 'mini-estates'!).
Upgraded finishes and design also feature of this new trend.

What's driving this is the pressure on the family to
maintain or improve living standards while attempting to cut
costs thru economies of scale.

Cheers!
Roy Salume
roy_salume@xxxxxxxxxxxx