GENERAL: IDFORUM. April 1994.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Industrial Design Forum" 6-APR-1994
20:56:41.33
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: IDFORUM - April, 1994

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 12:30:00 EDT
From: GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IDFORUM - April, 1994
Sender: Industrial Design Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

IIII DDDDDDDD
III DDDDDDDDD FFFFF OOO RRRR U U M M
III DDD DDDD F O O R R U U MM MM
III DDD DDD FFFF O O R R U U M M M
III DDD DDD F O O RRRR U U M M
III DDD DDD F O O R RR U U M M
III DDD DDD F OOO R RR UUU M M
III DDD DDDD
III DDDDDDDDD THE INDUSTRIAL DESIGN NETWORK
IIII DDDDDDDD

APRIL, 1994

CONTENTS

* Visiting Professor, Industrial Design *
Carleton University, Ottawa

* In Search of New Fundamentals, Conference *
Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands

* Interior Exterior Product Design Competition *
Nagaoka, Japan

* Culture of Connectedness - London *

* FineArt Forum - WWW *

* New List - O2 Mail List *

* Bio-Gas Research - India *
Request for help

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Visiting Professor, Industrial Design
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada

The School of Industrial Design invites applications for a
position of Visiting Professor at the Assistant or Associate
level beginning August 1, 1994. Applicants should have completed
a Masters Degree or equivalent in Industrial Design with special
emphasis on principles of form and colour, industrial design
projects, and professional practice. Applicants must also have
strong research interests.
The successful candidate is expected to participate in the
teaching of industrial design at the undergraduate level as
well as in the administrative functions of the School. Salary
commensurate with experience and qualifications.
In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, this
advertisement is directed in the first instance to Canadian
citizens and permanent residents. Other qualified candidates
are also invited to apply. Carleton University is committed
to equality of employment fro women, aboriginal peoples,
visible minorities, and disabled persons. Interested persons
from these groups are encouraged to apply.
This position is subject to budgetary approval. Interested
applicants should send a detailed curriculum vitae, a
portfolio of their work, and the names of at least three
referees to:
The Director
School of Industrial Design
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1S 5B6

Tel: 613. 788 5672 Fax: 613. 788 4465

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

In Search of New Fundamentals
International Conference, Delft University of Technology
June 30 & July 1, 1994

In celebration of its 25th anniversary the Faculty of Industrial
Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology, organizes an
international conference with keynote speakers including:

- Bernard E.Burdeck, Professor of Industrial Design,
Hochschule fur Gestaltung Offenbach

- Frida Doveil, Research director of the DOMUS Academy

- Daniel T. Jones, European Director of the International
Motor Vehicle Program, M.I.T.

- Ezio Manzini, Director of the DOMUS Academy

- Victor Papanek, Distinguished Professor, School of
Architecture and Urban Design, University of Kansas

- Barbara Radice, Editor and Publisher of: Terrazzo, A Biannual
Publication on Architecture and Design

- Sheridan Tatsuno, President of NeoConcepts and author of
Created in Japan

- John Thackara, Director of the Vormgevingsintituut, Amsterdam,
editor of Design After Modernism: Beyond the Object

The Conference will take place at the Aula Conference Centre,
Delft, The Netherlands on June 30 & July 1, 1994. For more
information on registration and accommodation please contact
the Congress Office, Tel: 31 15 120234 FAX: 31 15 120250.
P.S. IDFORUM has several subscribers from Delft University
of Technology - you could try contacting Johan F.M. Molenbroek,
J.F.M.Molenbroek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Interior Exterior Product Design Competition
Shinanogawa Technopolis International Design Competition '94
Nagaoka, Japan.

THEME
In recent years we have filled our rather small living spaces
with a remarkable array of consumer products. As a result, our
living conditions have suffered and become less than ideal.

Facing harmony with our natural environment and the people of the
world in a new era, we would like to offer the opportunity to
propose *new designs to create genuinely comfortable styles of
living.*

Also, in the near future we are about to face an aging society,
previously unknown in Japan, when a quarter of the population
will be aged people. For this issue we are providing a special
theme to create a more comfortable, enriched society.

APPLICABLE WORKS
Interior products (such as furniture, lighting fixtures, interior
fabrics, housing fixtures and so on) and exterior products (such
as garden tools, fencing and so on.) You may submit an existing
product on a design concept.

ELIGIBILITY
Individuals or organizations of any nationality may apply. Any
number of applications may be submitted.

LANGUAGE
Official languages for this competition are Japanese and English.

REGISTRATION
You may register on the official form between April 1 and June
30, 1994.

PRIZES
Grand Prize Y3,000,000 (about US$28,000)
Special Theme Prize Y1,500,000
Gold Prize Y1,000,000
Silver Prize (2) Y500,000
Bronze Prize (2) Y300,000
Prizes of Encouragement (10) Y50,000

For more information and registration forms please contact:
International Design Fair '94 NAGAOKA, (Tokyo Office)
Forum Building 7th Floor,
1-28-13 Hamamatsu-cho
Minato-ku,
Tokyo 105,
Japan. Tel/FAX: 81. 3 3434 6455

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

CULTURE OF CONNECTEDNESS - London, UK., 9 May

Culture of Connectedness will address the following questions:

What economic and competitive advantages can be gained from
teleworking and networking ? What significance does new and
emerging communication and information technologies have for
design ?

The aim of the event is to raise designers' awareness about
the benefits of teleworking, demonstrate the technologies
involved, expose what is available in terms of hardware,
software, consultancy & training and suggest pathways into
teleworking and networking.
Also included will be a case study of a practising design
consultancy, a look at the EC's TESSE programme - a series
of design centred teleworking and networking projects; and a
live networking demonstration.

Speakers include:
Julia Dickmann, Consultant, Aslib
Mike Lloyd, Network Developer and Director of acTiV8

There is no fee for visitors to this event and hospitality will
be provided.

For further information please contact:

Julia Dickmann
Aslib, the Association for Information Management, London. UK.
Tel: + 44 (0)71 253 4488, Fax: +44 (0)71 430 0514

FineArt WWW
FineArt Forum now has a WWW service.
How to get to FineArt_Online

By WWW browser - our URL is:

http://www.msstate.edu/Fineart_Online/home.html

By Gopher our link is:

Host=gopher.msstate.edu
Path=1/Online_services/fineart_online
Port=70

By anonymous ftp:

ftp.msstate.edu

in the directory:

pub/archives/fineart_online

or incoming stuff can put in the directory:

incoming/fineart_online/ ***write only***

Executive Editor: Paul Brown <pgb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Associate Editor: Hudson Oliver <hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Online Database Moderator: Reed Altemus <raltemus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ASTN President: Annick Bureaud <bureaud@xxxxxxxxxx>
ASTN 57 Rue Falguiere, Paris, France

ASTN Advisory Board Chair: Roger Malina, Leonardo-ISAST

Mail:
Paul Brown, PO Box 1292, Mississippi State, MS 39762-1292, USA.
Voice 601 325 3053, fax 601 325 3850

is to ISAST, 672 South Van Ness, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA.

Send submissions of items to be published in FineArt Forum to
pgb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New List - O2 Mail List

Hi Folks,
At the recent O2 meeting in Normandy, I launched the O2 Mail List.
Heralding, we hope, a new era in O2 communications.

A Mail List, is a technique for having a public discussion about a certain
topic with a group of people via EMail.

It is very simple, each Mail List represents one topic of discussion, as
defined by ourselves. Each list has one EMail address, when you want to
send a message to everybody on the list, whether you are replying to
someone else or making a new statement, you send it to the list address.

The mail list (also called a ListServer) technique gets over the problem of
syncronising everybody's list of subscribers. I keep a central list on my
machine of the people "subscribed" to each list. You just send one message,
I handle the distribution. To start with, the process will be done by me
"by hand", gradually, as I write and debug the software, it will become
automated.

As an example, imagine we had three lists...

O2-Admin
O2-Materials
O2-Exhibitions

The first one is where a set of people would discuss issues relating to the
Admin of O2. The second is where the use or choice of materials is
discussed, the third where ideas for exhibitions are thrashed out.
If you are subscribed to the Admin list for instance, and you want to reply
publicly to a message, you would send the message to
"O2-Admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", I then "reflect" that message to everyone on
the list. If you wanted to make a private reply to a message on the list,
you would send the message directly to the person who wrote what you are
replying to.

HOW TO JOIN

Obviously you need a method of joining a list, so you can receive the
ongoing discussion, or you might want to leave a list, because the
discussion does not interest you.

There is a special EMail address, called to request address. You send
specially formatted messages to this address, that get interpreted by my
software.

For example, to join "O2-Admin", I would send a message containing only the
following line

SUBSCRIBE O2-Admin Jeremy Quinn

to the request address, which is "O2-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". If you
wanted to end your subscription to the Materials discussion, I would send
the following line to the same address.

UNSUBSCRIBE O2-Materials Jeremy Quinn

In both cases you would obviously replace "Jeremy Quinn" with your own name!

In the future I plan to implement many more "Verbs", so you will be able to
ask for a list of the subscribers for instance, or ask my computer to send
a file to you, all kinds of things.

WHAT TO DO NOW

I am starting the first list, it is called "O2-TEST". I would like everyone
to subscribe to this list, so we can test things out, and you can get a
feel for what happens. We can also discuss what subjects to create first.

Send the following line, as an EMail message to "O2-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

SUBSCRIBE O2-TEST Your Name

And please do it today!

Just one more thing..... All of the addresses I have quoted are Internet
Addresses, they are addresses of my system on the Internet. I know a lot of
you have Compuserve addresses, not Internet addresses. This is not a
problem!

To send EMail to an Internet address from Compuserve, you put ">Internet:"
at the beginning (don't include the quotes), so.... if you are a Compuserve
user, send your subscription request to
">Internet:O2-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" (again, don't include the quotes).
If this all sounds interesting, but you really can't figure out what the
I am talking about! Send me a message to my personal address
"jermq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and I will do my best to help.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

regards Jeremy
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jeremy Quinn : Internet:
3D/Interactive : jermq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Designer & : Phone:
Green Design Consultant : +44 71 737 6831
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Member of O2 Global Network : PGP Key on public keyservers

Bio Gas Research - India

I'm a graduate student at MIT in Technology and Policy writing a research
proposal to study the sustainability of rural energy in India. In particular,
I want to focus on biogas plants. I would like to know if anyone has any
suggestions or material about specific case studies that have been
considered "successful". I have found some material on Pura Village in
Karnataka state; but I still need more information on things like - what
is the system used to make sure contribution and distribution of energy
from the biogas plant is "fair" (if it is)? How did the project come to that
village in the first place, and why was it "successful" the second time,
after an initial shutting down of the plant? I would also like to find
resources on community biogas plant projects as a whole, both technical
issues (how have other communities dealt with the seasonal variations in
gas output) and social issues (what have been the conditions for successful
community management?). I can be reached at mleyeh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or (617)576-2368, though email is much much better. Thanks.
Emily Yeh

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* IDFORUM is edited by: *
* Maurice Barnwell * GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
* * *
* Winters College, * Voice: 416 921 9148 *
* York University, * *
* 4700 Keele Street, * FAX: 416 736 5715 *
* North York, Ontario * *
* Canada. M3J 1P3 * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* CONTRIBUTIONS *
* All readers are encouraged to contribute to IDFORUM *
* All general comments, questions and discussion *
* should be sent to the list; *
* *
* IDFORUM@xxxxxxxxxxxx *
* *
* Short articles (up to 500 words), book reviews, *
* Exhibition notices, position announcements and *
* calls for papers should be sent, text format only *
* maximum 73 characters per line, to the list editor; *
* GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
* *