Re: PhD Programs In Architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: [email protected] (Wassim M. Jabi)
Subject: Re: PhD Programs In Architecture
Date: 5 Apr 1994 20:40:26 GMT

(Jim McKay) writes:
>>> As long as we're on the topic of Undergard and Grad programs,
>>> where are the most notable PhD programs in Architecture?
>THANKS!!
>

>correct me if I'm wrong, but U Mich has PhD in architecture, which I am
>interested...
>if anyone else know other PhD programs, let us know...

You bet, Michigan has a PhD program that has four specialty areas:
(1) Design Process and Methods (Including Computer-Aided Design)
(2) History and Theories of Architecture
(3) Environment and Building Behavior
(4) Building Technology

You have to declare a Major in one of the above and a Minor
in either one of the remaining three or a disicpline from another
department at the University. (In my case: I majored in Design Process and
Methods and minored in Distributed Artificial Intelligence)

Requirements:
1. Coursework (approx. 40 credits)
2. Research Practicum.
3. Qualifying Exams (Major, Minor, Integrative, Oral interview)
4. Dissertation Proposal.
5. Dissertation. (Yeah, you have to do this one too ;^)
6. Lots of money or, if you are lucky, hard work as a TA/RA :-)

Need more info? E-mail me.
--
Wassim M. Jabi (313) 936-0229
Doctoral Program in Architecture, University of Michigan