Re: ARCHITECTURE: Ratings of USA Schools.

On Tue, 5 Apr 1994 00:04:30 -0400 Brian Thomas Rex said:
>On Thu, 31 Mar 1994, Brian Thomas Rex wrote:
>
>> The lists below posted by TSAI need to be clarified with the criteria for
>> judging (i.e. who and what makes these decisions). To create a list of
>> "the best" architecture schools in the US is as assupmtive and
>> generalizing as trying to list the best engineering, law, or medical
>> schools. Is that civil engineering, obstetrics, or international law.
>> The umbrella of "architecture" has as many varied sub-disciplines as any
>> other profession. I have attended four different schools (BSArch,
>> BArch, a semester as an exchange student, and MSArchDes) over a seven
>> year period and all of them have offered very unique and different
>> understandings of what architecture is. Although every student should
>> receive some level of a liberal arts education, the entering student
>> should consider hwo much specialization they want to under take and what
>> area of emphasis that would be in.
>>
>> The Newsweek list of grad schools was:
>>
>> 1. Harvard
>> 2. Princeton
>> 3. Columbia and Yale (tie)
>> 4. MIT
>>
>> I'm very bothered by the undergrad list and the position (or omission)
>> that some very good design oriented schools are set in at.
>>
>> NOTHING BEATS GOING TO VISIT A SCHOOL FOR YOURSELF.
>> There are some very good schools in every region of the country and a
>> student can attend an excellent school and study with lame teachers and
>> vice versa. My attitude towards my education was set in place by a
>> couple of very good first year teachers at a school that isn't in the
>> "top twenty-five" below. If anyone wants to post their inquiries to my
>> address I'll give them my own personal OPINIONS.
>>
>> Brian.
>> btr1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>

>> On Thu, 31 Mar
>> 1994, Howard Ray Lawrence 814 238 9535 wrote:
>>
>> > - - The original note follows - -
>> >
>> > From: tsai0017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Tsung-Han Tsai-1)
>> > Subject: ratings of architecture schools
>> > Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 07:54:16 GMT
>> >
>> > seems like there's a number of people out there looking to get into
>> > architecture and are wondering about 'good' schools...here's a rating of
>> > undergraduate and graduate arch. programs in the U.S., ENJOY!!
>> >

>> > undergrad
>> > 1. UC Berkeley
>> > 2. MIT
>> > 3. Carnegie-Mellon
>> > 4. Princeton
>> > 5. Cornell
>> > 6. Michigan (Ann Harbor)
>> > 7. Illinois (Urbana)
>> > 8. Georgia Tech
>> > 9. Rice
>> > 10. Southern Cal (USC)
>> > 11. Texas (Austin)
>> > 12. Pratt (N.Y.)
>> > 13. Minnesota (Twin Cities)
>> > 14. Cinncinati
>> > 15. Kansas
>> > 16. Oklahoma
>> > 17. Rensselaer (N.Y.)
>> > 18. Arizona
> [...]

I've became extremely bothered upon reading your ratings of architecture
schools Brian Tsung. Your information, like others, are incomparably
ignorant. Perhaps the Gourman Report is not a genuine source of information.

Please don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that the Gourman, haven't yet
acknowledge the being of THE COOPER UNION SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE.
The Copper Union is one of the oldest and the most intellectual
school of architecture ever existed. Unlike most schools, The Cooper
Union is a school in its own world. This is a school for conceptual
thinkings, for poeple with unique thoughts and contribution to the
ever changing realm of architecture. For people who can see the warm
in the apple. For people who view architecture as a form of art.

I intentionally advise my fellow scholars to go for the love of it,
and not for there name. The Cooper Union is a definite school of
architecture. And Brian Tsung, I hope that you will look in to this school
and understand more about its history and its goals. In the future
I'd like to see The Cooper Union as one of the top rated schools on
yours and many other lists. Please regard to this matter.
= Vincent Y.S. Poon =