Brainstorming: Urban open space

As part of a professional group advising the new mayor of our city, I am
seeking information on the land use planning experience of other cities. Our
Mayor has requested that we develop a preliminary set of visions and
guidelines within the next 120 days, and benchmarking other cities in similar
climates and economies is the first of our activities, to be concluded by the
end of April.

I am most interested in the subjects of open space and transportation in
cities of the future---cities where the promises of electronic highways have
begun to result in new urban forms. In these places and times, I expect that
the concept of office building has been transformed and along with it the
currently necessary concentrations in the urban core.

I would be greatful for brainstorming, references, examples, philosophies,
theories and any other information you may offer to assist in the development
of our own thinking. Again, my particular interest is in the transformation
of approaches to urban open space and transportation in the land use context.

Thank you all in advance. (This message has been posted on the Urban-L and
Design-L lists. Please excuse any duplications.)