Visions/guidelines:21c urb/reg planning

Hi

> From: Keller Ann Easterling <kae3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Brainstorming:Urban open space

As I see it, your interest-area would seem to offer you a very limited
number of whole-city models to select from :

1. Energy-compact models, whether modern or ancient (eg. walking-urban space)
2. City of the vehicle (whether horse-drawn carriage or automobile)
3. Communications-centred inner urban areas (eg. civic heart, campus-
community)

My first thoughts suggest the need to combine key elements from a variety
of global sources, including :

a. the energy-compact walking town/city (eg. cities like Bath, Avon [UK],
or walled inner-city areas of East and West,
plus
b. aesthetic and well-developed internal public-spaces, such as contemporary
shopping malls
plus
c. energy-efficient, and beautiful examples of the contemporary electronic
university-campus [incorporating a circular ring-road, plus rich diversity
of architectural styles and art forms (fountains, well-located statuary
and other artworks), plus generous woodlands, and diverse gardenscapes
[eg. I have only found 2 campuses which qualify - the University of
Victoria, BC, Canada - site of the forthcoming August, 1994 Commonwealth
Games, and the University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Brisbane]

To all the above, I would adjust and embrace not only cyberspace / breathing-
space / mental space, but _future-space_ : respecting the potential to
create a global perspective in future city development - drawing on the
well-considered concepts of the most visionary of individuals [including
not just those from the planning sphere, but those serving or saluting
the community [private, public, government, corporate], and from non-material
culture as well - introducing inspiring concepts which elevate our material
minds to those abstract and even transcendental levels, where pure planning
becomes not just artform, but high meditation, or abstract poetry.

Do you have an online copy of your syllabus, please?

Thanks,
Mel Erskine-Richmond
--

[material deleted to focus on my interest-area]