ART: ...and Science. [More...]

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 11-APR-1994
19:14:00.32
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: art and science

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 17:59:24 CDT
From: David Westling <[email protected]>
Subject: art and science
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

John Matturi speaks of the contrast between media images of the
scientist and of the artist. But these are mere burlesques; the deeply
held notions of the vast majority are too disturbing to rise to the
surface except as burlesques. In reality, this public holds the
achievements of science in far higher regard than the achievements
of art, partly because of the Calvinist heritage of antipathy to
anything smacking of hedonist impulses and partly because of the
easily perceived benefits of things like polio vaccines, washing
machines, etc. Art is used to reinforce these notions but it is
like a handmaiden to the bride. THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN!!
This seems to be undergoing some change, but the predominance still
goes to science it seems to me. (Of course, maybe I've watched "A Clock-
work Orange" a few too many times!)
David Westling