GENERAL: Intelligent NEXT

From: IN%"[email protected]" "File transfer list" 13-APR-1994 06:34:54.85
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list TRANS-L"
CC:
Subj: Intelligent Vehicle-Highway Systems: Report to be released April 14

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 03:11:23 -0400
From: ndallen@xxxxxx
Subject: Intelligent Vehicle-Highway Systems: Report to be released April 14
Sender: File transfer list <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list TRANS-L <[email protected]>
Comments: To: TRANS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a press release from the Intelligent Vehicle-Highway
Society of America. I downloaded the press release from the
PR On-Line BBS in Maryland at 410-363-0834. I do not work
for the society.

International Study on 'Smart' Transportation to be Released
April 14
To: National and Assignment desks, Daybook Editor, Transit Writer
Contact: Jonathan Slevin of the Intelligent Vehicle-Highway
Society of America, 202-484-2893

WASHINGTON, April 11 -- A comparative study on
the progress of "smart" transportation in Japan, Europe and the
United States has found that while the United States leads its
trade partners in the research and development of intelligent
vehicle-highway systems (IVHS), it lags in deployment.
The study, "A Comparative of IVHS Programs in the United States,
Europe and Japan Through 1993," will be released at a news
conference in the Truman Lounge at the National Press Club in
Washington, D.C., at 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 14.
The study is the first comprehensive examination of
international scope on IVHS, and is a response to questions raised
by a U.S. congressional transportation subcommittee as to the
relative position of the three regions in IVHS deployment. It was
conducted by a team of international engineers and transportation
experts and sponsored by the Intelligent Vehicle-Highway Society of
America (IVHS America).
"Although this thorough and thoughtful analysis demonstrates the
United States has made strides in developing an advanced technology
that will greatly enhance our nation's transportation system, it
also shows that we have work to do," said James Constantino,
executive director of IVHS America. "And, we advocates of IVHS
believe America is poised to tackle the job."
The study, prepared by R.I. French & Associates, a Texas-based
consultant firm, notes that all three leaders in IVHS enjoy wide
public sector support.
"However, catching up or pulling ahead in broad deployment of
IVHS remains a major challenge for the United States, particularly
in comparison to Japan with its already widely deployed traffic
management systems," according to the study. "For the United
States to take and maintain the lead in deployment, it is
critically important for state and local governments to more fully
embrace IVHS concepts."
At the press conference, Robert French, who led the study's
international team of authors, and Costantino will release the
major findings of the report and answer questions from reporters.
IVHS America is a nonprofit educational and scientific society
which coordinates and accelerates the development and deployment of
advanced transportation technology. It is an official Federal
Advisory Committee to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
For information concerning the study or the press conference,
contact Jonathan Slevin, director of communications, IVHS America,
at 202-484-2893.

-30-