Rules of Thumb or Heuristics

Dear members of DESIGN-L:
I am working on my dissertation that is about the use of heuristics or rules of
thumb by architectural designers as a guide for decision making in the early
phases of a project development. I would like to get some examples from you of
the rules of thumb or heuristics that you use for your own practice (students,
professors, architects). These could be of any type: quantitative or
qualitative, and could be of any field: energy, structures, aesthetics, urban
planning, hvac, lighting, etc. It would help me very much to get those examples
from you. Thanks a lot for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Liliana Beltran
lbeltran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx