Re: PEI being Chinese not Japanese.

On Tue, 12 Apr 1994 13:38:00 CDT MIKE SCHULER said:
>Mr. Yu,
>
> To say that Japanese architecture is derived from Chinese architecture is
>like saying that English is based (to a large extent) on German. Further, While
>Pei is Chinese, I doubt that his ethnic background has had any REAL effect on
>his work.
>

>Michael Schuler
>College of Architecture and Design
>Kansas State University

Michael,

I've read your reponse to Mr. Yu's point of view concerning I.M.PEI's
work, and I feel that Mr. Yu had made a statement. According to my
understanding, Pei is cultural minded. Much of his work has based
on traditional beliefs. He wants, very much, to design with the Chinese
images. But due to the fact that he despited the modern chinese government,
he'd try to view himself as an absolute American. In result, his work
seems to be directed more towards the west.

Perhaps Michael, Pei's ethic background has in fact reflected his work.

V.Y.POON%