Re: PEI being Chinese not Japanese. (fwd)

Peter D. Verheyen says:

" Isn't all architecture or art for that matter derivative in some way?"

Sure, so is all music, painting, sculpture, dance and literature? Indeed,
so is everything that humans do. But, investigating the derivationb leads
to insights about the meaning of the work and some understanding of
its development and eveolution.

Peis's/// Pei's work appears to be so thoroughly modern, especially
the work at the Louvre that these influences , if they are there are
not very apparent. If anyone is capable of drawing derivations from
earlier chinese works, I wish that they would do it. Otherwise, there
is an open suggestion that stylistic conventions are somehow passed on
via surnames or something. I think that it might me more legitimate
to discuss the English influences in Philip Johnsons work or Dutch
influences in Mies van der Rohe.

- ray lauzzana