GENERAL: Spaceship Earth of Richard Buckminster Fuller.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 23-APR-1994 05:11:02.65
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC"
CC:
Subj: RE: Dome houses

Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 02:12:08 -0700
From: 4D Solutions <pdx4d@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Dome houses
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC <[email protected]>

SOME THOUGHTS ON NATIONS FROM A FULLER FAN

Nationalism seems a bankrupt strategy for mapping
ethnic/cultural distinctions to geography, which
as too few dimensions to accommodate the interweavings
of affinity. For all their drawbacks, notice how
corporations support the trappings of nationhood,
with logos, mottos, CEO-prezes, image/identity stuff,
but without blocking off huge areas of the map.
Corporate cultures hang together globally with
dispersed campus settings wired by commlinks and
frequent flyers. In this sense, I think Serbia, Inc.
or Israel, Inc. or Palestine, Inc. -- global networks
with no huge territorial claims -- would better
accommodate the complex topology of "we" groupings.

Phasing in Fuller's nationless map doesn't mean
declaring that nations don't exist, or waiting for
some revolution. We're just de-emphasizing their
importance. And I still think USA has a bright future,
not so much as a territory as a democratic system
for providing goods and services. Governments are
systems, inherently global. You can log in to USA OS
(USA operating system) from wherever. Much as it
is today -- I send email to mom & dad @usaid.gov in
Africa.

To be a Fullerian, philosophically, is, I believe, to
say "enough with the silly nation-state idea already!".
That doesn't mean I don't pay taxes, or vote for this
or that. But I'm not interested in deciding the
boundaries between Israel and Syria or Serbia and Bosnia.
That's a jigsaw puzzle that's hopeless to the core.
Lets get folks into domes and such, and online.
With multimedia and a future to live for, life will
again seem too precious to waste in war to defend the
future of some obsolete institution called "nation."
That was the real purpose of the Spaceship Earth metaphor:
not to make earth seem mechanistic (Jeremy Rifkin's
criticism) but to make it seem apolitical.

-- Kirby