Traditional mtls. + computers

I'm a Design educator wondering if there is a place (in a world gradually
evolving into designing with the computer as the only tool) for traditional
materials to coexist with computer output.

My students and I are either designing with the traditional materials or
designing using Quark, Photoshop, Alias etc. Has anyone been combining
the two? Either by scanning a sketch in and then enhancing or adding to it
in the computer, or by running output and then working on that?

I love what's going on with new technology; we've been producing some
knockout work. But something tells me that there's a biomechanical
"Je ne sais quoi" that goes on when I put pencil, chalk, paint or marker to
paper, that is an important link to creative thinking processes.

And so I'm wondering if there are any of you who've found by using the best
of both worlds - old-tech and new - you're coming up with wonderful results?

If so, I'd love to know - what are you doing, how are you combining old
and new? How is one enhancing the other? How does one make up for the
weaknesses of the other?

Regards,
Katherine
Katherine Bennett kbid@xxxxxxxxxx