ART: A NEW WAY to Show Work.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 25-APR-1994
12:39:23.03
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: new gallery

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 10:31:54 CDT
From: Vail Valerie <Val.Vail.Saichek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: new gallery
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > any of you want representation at this time, let us know. The deal will
> > probably be each artist pays $50 a month (minimum of 3 months) to display 5
> > pieces. If the piece sells the artist receives 100% of the price IF a member
> + of
> > the co-op sells it, 80% if we end up having to hire someone. Intriguing?
Well,

> Dave,
>
> As a person who has worked as an arts consultant and independent
> representative for a number of years, I must ask: isn't your fee
> structure a little unorthodox? I *am* intrigued -- did you base this
> on a model?
> Sherri Helwig

Sherri, this is the newest thing to hit gallery town. In my area
(Milwaukee), I just launched my first solo show through an alternative
gallery space. No fees at all! She provides the space (you do have to be
accepted to show, of course) You hang the show, provide the postcards, do
the mailing, buy the advertising BUT there is no commission taken on the
work. What I sold, I made %100 profit on. It was a very successful
opening. Over 100 people came and I sold work to boot. This kind of
gallery opportunity is appearing all over the country put together by people
who support the arts by supporting the artists themselves. It is all quite
revolutionary. The woman who runns this space uses it for her own shows as
well and has a wonderful reputation in the community because of her generous
efforts. So the opportunity above is a good one. I'd like more information
on that offer myself!

I'd also be interested in hearing about your profession, and how you work.>

* Val.Vail.Saichek@xxxxxxxxxx |"A man said to the universe-- *
* | Sir, I exist! *
* | However, replied the universe *
* | That fact has not created in me *