Re: Graduate Schools

- - The original note follows - -

From: S.W.Glazebrook <swg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Graduate Schools
Date: 25 Apr 1994 00:19:19 GMT

Subject: Graduate Schools
From: Jennifer E Carter, jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 23 Apr 1994 18:33:53 GMT
In article <2pbpmh$ihn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jennifer E
Carter, jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Hello there,
>
>I am currently an undergraduate at The Ohio State University studying
>architecture. I plan on seeking a Master's degree upon graduation
>next spring, however, except for Ivy League schools, I know very
>little about graduate programs offered at other schools. Anyone who
>could send me inforamtion regarding different programs and what
>students think of them, would be very helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jennifer Carter
>jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a very common question that should be answered out in the open
for all to take advantage of. I am a First Professional Masters student
at the University of Texas at Austin studying Architecture. The School
of Architecture here has an excellent post-professional program; due in
part to the work of the late Charles Moore. Recently, the school has had
the fortunate "acquisition" of Rob Wellington Quigley; an excellent San
Diego Architect and professor. We also boast such cutting-edge theorists
and designers as Michael Benedikt and Marcos Novak (see the article in
this section under "Architecture School of the Future"); and received a
rating of ninth (or seventh - depending on whether or not you use "new
math") among graduate schools of architecture in the US.
Specializations within the post-professional curriculum include:
Advanced Design Research with Marcos Novak, Computation and Simulation
with Paco Arumi, Design previously with Charles Moore, Historic
Preservation with Wayne Bell, and Urban Design with Simon Atkinson. To
compliment these programs, the SOA is also home to the Center for
American Architecture (publishing CENTER), an architecture and planning
library housing over 30,000 volumes and 120,000 drawings and related
documents, as well as computer labs, a photographic union, a woodshop,
and an increasing emphasis on the application of computers in the design
process.
To find out more, contact Rosemin Gopaul ("Dean Gopaul") at:

The University of Texas at Austin
Graduate School of Architecture - Sutton Hall
Austin, Texas 78713