Re: Traditional mtls. + computers

technology - traditional art materials with computer use -
on 24 April Dave Sill wrote that he's been mixing traditional materials
with computer output (watercolor layered with Xerox transparencies,
watercolor/pencil dwgs. scanned in to 3-D modeling programs, output and
then re-worked, etc.)

Dave, thanks for your reply. I found your last statement interesting:
"The advantage of the new [computers] is speed, efficiency, and power of
change. [I agree] The advantage of the old is the tactile involvement
with the work."

I think this last part is the reason why we all will still be drawing for
a while - at least until they have a Wacom tablet with a touch-sensitive
flat screen disply under your stylus that feels like drawing on paper -
and I don't doubt that they'll have it. There seems to be the need for
the hand/eye connection to shake loose the ideas. The more I talk to
designers, everybody still does their concept-generating scribbling on
paper. I'm willing to bet someone has found some physiological reason for
that - in other words, we're wired that way.

Anyone have any info to support that?

Regards,
Katherine

Katherine Bennett kbid@xxxxxxxxxx