Re: Need info on Jacobs House by F.Ll. Wright

- - The original note follows - -

From: "Erik K. Larson" <el17+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Need info on Jacobs House by F.Ll. Wright
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 04:56:32 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.alt.architecture: 27-Apr-94 Need info on Jacobs
House b.. by [email protected]
> For a project I'm doing at my university I need to know
> something about the construction of Jacobs House by
> Frank Lloyd Wright.
>
> It's about the walls. These are made of timber/wood elements
> that are somehow connected together to form walls. I need to
> know the type of connection used (e.g. glue, screws, nails) and
> *where* connection was done (e.g. at the Jacobs site, or
> somewhere else) and how the elements were transported (if applicable).

The Jacob House features horizontal board and batten walls. Wright used
these in many of his designs that collectively became known as "usonian"
homes. There is a detail of this construction on page 110 of "Frank
Lloyd Wright's Usonian Houses" by John Sergeant. The publisher is
Watson-Guptill Publications of New York.

The walls have a center core of plywood, covered on both sides by a
"dampproof" membrane. The battens were screwed into both sides of the
wall and hold the boards, but still allow them to expand. The boards
provide a horizontal stripe on a one foot interval. Sargeant says that
Wright claimed that the composite wall was strong, insulated, "vermin
proof and practically fireproof."

In the Jacobs house the board and batten was pine. In later houses
Wright used cypress.

I highly reccomend Sargeant's book if you can find a copy. As I recall,
the soft cover version is very reasonably priced, too.

Good luck.

-Erik

Erik Larson
Department of Architecture