ART: Public...

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 1-MAY-1994
02:16:14.57
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: Public arts funding

Date: Sun, 1 May 1994 01:21:56 EDT
From: Malgosia Askanas <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Public arts funding
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would like public funding to be non-project-and-artist specific.
In particular, I would like lots of civic art centers to be
built everywhere. Such a center would have exhibition space,
performance space, cafe space, rooms for classes, screening rooms,
and funding for equipment. It would be utilized the way
community-access TV is used: anybody could exhibit, show their films,
organize classes, use the equipment. The personnel would consist
largely of volunteers, with some funds for permanent staff. Things
would be done on a first-come-first serve basis or something like
that. Resources would be available for artists to do their own
publicity. There would always be something going on.

Also, all museum visits and symphony concerts should be free of
charge, and big towns should have permanent theater companies
playing classics and travelling to smaller towns. Tickets to
these shows should be dirt-cheap, as should tickets to symphony
concerts.

Graffiti should be encouraged and should become a desirable,
ubiquitous and generally valued decoration of facades and walls.

I intend to devote all of tomorrow to the implementation of these
ideas.

- malgosia