GENERAL: Infastructure, Conversion of.

From: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Urban Planning Discussion List"
1-MAY-1994 03:21:12.74
To: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Multiple recipients of list
URBAN-L"
CC:
Subj: Converting Infrastructure

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 1994 16:11:42 -0400
From: Brent Donovan Ryan <bdr2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Converting Infrastructure
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list URBAN-L <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was wondering if anyone has any information about the conversion of infra-
structure, in this case abandoned rail lines, to other forms of transportation,
either hiking trails, bikeways, or other means. I have heard of a few cases
("Rails to Trails") where such things have occurred; a few case studies I can
think of are in Cape Cod and New Haven, CT. Is this a nationwide movement,
and how successful has it been?
I can also think of other cases where other forms of infrastructure
have been converted in this way; in New York State, the abandoned Croton
Aqueduct has become a hiking trail for much of its length. Abandoned canal
towpaths are also useful for this, as in the C and O Towpath in Washington DC
and Maryland.
I'm also curious as to the potential for other forms of infrastructure
to be converted in this way... mainly highways, I guess, although I would also
be interested in hearing about other forms. Does anyone know of cases in which
highway medians (they are such huge land-grabbers) and/or interchanges have
been successfully used for recreational space?
I am heartened by this trend; it appears that after 50 years or so
of an over-emphasis on the automobile, Americans are finally realizing the
usefulness of accommodating alternative means of getting around, and, perhaps,
alternative ways of viewing the world, which may lead, perhaps, to a
reappraisal of cities their relationship to nature.

Brent Ryan
Columbia University