Re: positive thinking institute

Please reply to *original* sender, not HRL, and copy to the list. Thanks.
Howard

- - The original note follows - -

From: Springer@xxxxxxx (T.J. Springer)
Subject: Re: positive thinking institute
Date: 2 May 1994 12:22:28 GMT

In article <hathor1.1.2DC4C44D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
hathor1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mr Howard Hathorn : ARCH-PG) wrote:

> Hi, My name is Howard
> I am a post-grad architecture student at the University of Natal, Durban
> South Africa. For my thesis topic I would like to design a centre for the
> study and teaching of methods of positive thinking. Does anybody out there
> know of buildings like this that have been designed anywhere in the world.
> If so please could you write back to me with Journal references or just a
> description of the building, as well as any feelings you may have on the
> particular subject and its translation into architecture...
>
> I look forward to your replies
>
> Howard Hathorn
> e-mail: HATHOR1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Durban, South Africa

Interesting thesis. You might try contacting the offices of the late Dr.
Norman Vincent Peale - the grand guru of positive thinking. If anyplace
will know of attempts to shape behavior through design as you posit, they
should; however, if you consider your question in a more globally broad
context, there are many varieties of "positive thinking environments" - - -
e.g., temples (from Shinto and Buddhist to B'hai) other religious
structures can be said to embrace the concept of positive thinking in their
program but may also include concepts of repentance and other ideology.
Another approach is to consider the role of play in engendering positive
thinking. I'm not trying to be flippant, but if play does not relate
(i.e., study and teaching are too serioius for play), then you need to be
much more specific about what you mean by study and teaching of methods of
positive thinking.

Just a few thoughts triggered by your request. Good luck