VIRTUAL REALITY AS DESIGN TOOL

Could some one please shed some light on the impact that has been made
with the advent of virtual reality and its use as a design tool in architecture?

I would also like to know what anyone thinks the sort of impact of this will
be within the next 5 years.
One more thing, where could I find some more information on this?

I am a third year Architecture student of Newcastle University Australia
and for my elective subject for this semester is electronic mailing. We have
been asked to compose a question and then follow the thread of the replies
that are a result of the above Question. So your assistance in even reading
this has been greatly appreciated and a reply would be excellent.
Please send all mail to the discussion group.
Thank you B A R R Y S I S S O N